Nestled in the foothills of the Berkshire and Taconic Mountains, The Abode has 2 facilities available for retreats, conferences and all types of gatherings such as spirituality, meditation, music and art groups, weddings, reunions and festivals.
The Abode Main Campus:
Located in historic Shaker buildings on over 300 acres of natural beauty, the Abode is a conference and retreat center, a residential spiritual community, as well as a school of esoteric studies.
Nestled in the foothills of the Berkshire and Taconic Mountains our main campus with its original Shaker buildings serves as a host facility for retreats and group events
We enjoy sharing our center with new and returning guests and we specialize in individual attention and customer service. We can assist you with all phases for planning your event and with the rental process. We can offer advice about travel options and local attractions. Your successful event is our first priority.
- A large meeting space (1300 sq.ft.) for up to 120 people.
- Three break out spaces for 10 to 45 people
- Single and shared guestrooms with shared hall bath for 70 people (more if people camp)
- Dining space for up to 80 people
- Organic vegetarian and vegan cuisine with meat and dessert options
- Wireless access
- Shuttle from Albany airport
- Great location close to Albany, Boston and New York City
- Massage therapists and other healing modalities available
The Abode Mountain Camp:
The Abode mountain camp occupies the highest elevation of our 300 acres. The beautiful and pristine mountainside is known to have been sacred to the Shaker community and to Native Americans before them. The mountain retreat space is designed to enable gatherings in an intimate proximity with nature.
The huge main platform covered by a white canvas tent which opens to the forest on all sides if desired is a very rare and special gathering area.Trails meander through the woods leading to tent sites, cabins and small, cozy huts nestled in the woods. Sliding glass doors in some huts and skylights allow the boundaries between shelter and nature to merge. The other side of the mountain marks a sanctuary space with large wind chimes, a vessel for ritual fire and our bridge “to nowhere and everywhere’
The Mountain Retreat is open from May through September: There is no access in the winter.
- Big tent (40’by 60’, platform 50’by 60’) Basic equipment for sound and recording devices provided. Wired for basic lighting in the evenings.
- Additional smaller tents for break out spaces
- Single huts, shared cabins and tent space: Sixteen Private Huts populate the mountain top. They are simple, rustic retreat huts, not holiday cabins offering modern amenities. Private Huts at the Mountain Conference Center do not have electricity or running water. With some, there are nearby outhouse facilities for convenience.
- Two buildings, similar to each other, comprise the Shared Cabins, a total of twenty rooms each housing two people. They are located within easy walking distance of the dining and meeting facilities. Tenting capacity is basically unlimited along the trails of the forest.
- Electricity and running water is provided by a quiet generator and there is always a maintenance or on-site help for daily tasks and emergencies
- Dining space for up to 200 people: The dining area is an ‘eat in the rough’ style roofed pavilion surrounded by a big open space. In addition, there is a 1500 square foot roofed wooden building to be used as a café or meeting space. It can be heated by a wood stove for rainy more chilly days.
The kitchen is on site, an exquisitely shaped wooden octagon. Groups may bring their own cooks and staff or may contract with us for food services.
- Hot showers and flushing toilets
- Parking available on site for up to 150 cars
- Shuttle from Albany airport
- Guestrooms available on our main campus
Outdoors: A spring fed swimming pond, Hiking trails through the woods and forests, Fire circles for bonfires,
A quiet sanctuary space on our mountain top, A Labyrinth, An organic farm and herb garden, Beautiful grounds to sit and relax, A spring-fed pond (not swimming pond).