Shepherd's Spring Outdoor Ministry Center is a Maryland retreat center and summer camp and a 501(c)3 non-profit affiliated with the Church of the Brethren. The congregations of the Mid Atlantic District Church of the Brethren provide support of the ministry through gifts of time, talent and treasure.
Located just 1.5 hours west of Washington, DC, Shepherd's Spring is comprised of 220 acres of rolling, wooded land and open meadows along the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal and the Potomac River.
Operated by a dedicated staff and team of volunteers Shepherd's Spring's mission is “ Shepherd’s Spring, an outdoor ministry, education, conference, and retreat center, provides opportunities for spiritual renewal and growth, stewardship of God’s creation, and the experience of community, for all ages ”. To fulfill this mission, Shepherd's Spring provides a variety of programs and services, in a beautiful rural and natural setting, serving persons of all ages from the Church of the Brethren and other religious, educational, non-profit, and governmental organizations. Summer camps for children, youth and adults are offered as well
With Antietam National Battlefield and historic Harper's Ferry nearby, Shepherd's Spring provides the perfect, tranquil setting for you and your guests to escape the noise and congestion of the city, enjoy your event, and explore the history and wildlife all around.
Blending the comfort of our Lodge and meeting areas with the rustic charm of our cabins, Shepherd's Spring Outdoor Ministry Center ensures your indoor or outdoor event is relaxed, productive, and worry-free.
Our Facilities include:
- The Lodge provides hotel-style accommodations for 48 (double occupancy) with a lift to the second floor for those with special needs.
- The Lodge's Conference Area consists of two large, flexible spaces for large gatherings or presentations, and four smaller breakout rooms/areas for smaller group discussions. A sound system, video/overhead projection equipment, and a piano are available. Click here to view additional images of the Lodge.
- Shepherd's springs dining hall The spacious Dining Hall provides a panoramic view of fields, surrounding woods, and often wildlife. Our exceptional food service staff provides meals and snacks that include vegetarian options and other meals appropriate to our global community. Click here to view additional images of the Dining Hall
- The Seasonal Poplar Village is open April through October and appeals to our guests seeking a more rustic, natural setting. Accommodating up to 72 people, our seven cabins - each with a restroom, shower, bunk beds, and ceiling fan - surround an open-air pavilion. The pavilion hosts retreats, family reunions, weddings, and worship services. The pavilion is equipped with a fireplace, sink, and barbeque grill. Click here to view additional images of the Seasonal Village.
- The Heifer Global Village at Shepherd’s Spring is a site complete with international homes, gardens, and livestock that represent living conditions for developing nations in which Heifer International* works. Our Global Village currently offers 8 sites, some of which include multiple structures or houses.Shepherd's Springs Outdoor Areas
- Outdoor Pool and Pool House
A 25-meter pool with a full bathhouse, is open from Memorial Day through Labor Day. Click here to view additional images of the Pool and Pool House.
- Activity Areas, Hiking Trails, and Nature Areas
Two volleyball courts, a ball field, a 4-Square Court and a children's playground provide a wide variety of recreational opportunities. In addition, short hiking trails connect the Lodge and the Seasonal Village, while longer trails lead to the C&O Canal Tow Path. Our Nature Areas are ideal for quiet meditation and glimpses of wildlife. Click here to view additional images of the Activity Areas, Trails, and Nature Areas.