18th century SUGAR PLANTATION
Perfect for tropical yoga, art or wellness venue, family or corporate retreat, or B&B
Sale Price - $3,250,000 USD
The 12+ acre property is situated on the side of a hill above the rainforest valley on St. Croix’s lush West End.
It includes a 1700‘s two-story great house built from stone, brick and cut coral, a separate two bedroom two bath guest house, two stand alone and fully restored two bedroom two bath cottages, an orchard, beautiful ruins, and a labyrinth.
There are not many places in the world, let alone the Caribbean, where you can ﬁnd a sizable historic property in such a peaceful setting. You will be mesmerized by the vastness of the view and the serenity of this property. The Mt. Washington Great House and Plantation is considered by many to be the most beautiful historic restoration in the Virgin Islands – and perhaps the entire Caribbean” (Island News).
The 12+ acre property is situated on the side of a hill above the rainforest valley on St. Croix’s lush West End. The magnificent view overlooks green hills, above tree tops, down the length of a Nature Preserve and out to the blue Caribbean Sea. It will take your breath away!
Amenities: 9 bedrooms · 11 bathrooms · 11,750 sq ft ·
- 1700's two-story great house built from stone, brick and cut coral with 3 bedrooms.
- Separate two bedroom two bath guest house.Two stand alone and fully restored two bedroom two bath cottages.
- Artist Studio
- Swimming Pool
On the Land:
- Amongst banana, avocado and citrus trees on the tranquil grounds below the Great house is 18th century stone ruins of a sugar factory, boiling shed, molasses cistern, two story dungeon, and stone remains of a 17-cottage village.
- The center piece of the ruins is the restored “cockpit” animal mill complete with 18th century wooden crushing machinery.
- The original animal stables were restored for the owner’s antique shop and are presently used as a yoga and art studio.
- A labyrinth, an ancient walking path of prayer and meditation built by the present owners, is positioned amongst the ruins and the fruit trees.
- A stone bell tower, housing an 18th century bell, overlooks the peaceful plantation ruins and landscaped grounds.
- Century old trees grace the property and provide cool shade, amazing color, and nice breezes on hot summer days.
The home houses a renowned collection of the owners’ West Indian antiques, perfectly complimenting the home and setting. The Great House is being sold furnished, with the exception of a few pieces and personal items.
Media Appearances: Over the years the Great house, grounds and ruins have been the background for photos of brides and models, ﬁlms, and catalogs. Mt. Washington has been featured in magazines such as Colonial Homes/Traditional Homes, Gourmet, Architectural Digest, Coastal Living, and British Vogue. The grounds and Great house have been the site for a Danish ﬁlm and featured in a major Copenhagen newspaper, and most recently will be featured in an episode of “The Bachelor.”
The Great house and furniture collection have been featured on the St. Thomas television show “Inside Out,” as well as photographed in Caribbean Elegance by Michael Connors. On more than one occasion, Mt. Washington has been the centerpiece house on the St. Croix Landmarks House Tours as well as being featured in island publications such as Island News, St. Croix This Week, and Vacation St. Croix.