Situated in the foothills of the Tucson Mountains and the beautiful Sonoran Desert, the Renewal Center provides a unique opportunity for solitude, reflection, prayer and contemplative practice. Located on 120 acres that border the Saguaro National Park West, it is a site that appeals to the nature lover and gently challenges the more urban personality. With miles of trails available into the desert, the variety of the desert flora (especially the cacti) and fauna, plus ancient Hohokam Indian rock art (Petroglyph) located on the Renewal Center property, this place has an atmosphere that inevitable nudges those who come, toward the sacred. For those who come to it for a precious time aside from their demanding life circumstances, RRC becomes what is was for the Hohokam who etched their appreciation of life and its meaning on its jagged rock hundreds of years ago -- holy ground.
The facilities of Redemptorist Renewal Center are available for retreats, meetings and workshops for groups of people whose main emphasis is directly related to spiritual growth and development. Although Redemptorist Renewal Center is a Catholic retreat center we welcome all denominations that seek to nourish and to sustain the growth of their members. A mutual respect for all religious traditions is an essential element of our statement of mission and belief.
Groups that have used Redemptorist Renewal Center include Religious Congregations of men and women meeting in chapter, groups who are dedicated to healing and the spiritual dimension of the healing arts, numerous forms of meditation and meditative practice, and gatherings of bishops, clergy and lay associates for specific retreats, training and development.
Spiritual Growth Opportunities
In addition to published thematic group retreat experiences and the numerous hosted programs that use our facilities, the Redemptorist Renewal Center also offers other unique opportunities for spiritual growth. A sample of the services and programs offered include:
• Spiritual Direction--members of the staff are available by appointment for spiritual direction, not only during the time of your visit but also as a regular part of your spiritual journey. Appointments for spiritual direction must be made in advance with your choice of directors.
• Directed Retreats--Directed retreats are offered. Retreats are offered by advance appointment with a qualified retreat director. Retreats may be scheduled throughout the year at mutually agreed upon times. A minimum of five full days is suggested in order to benefit from this type of retreat experience.
• The Contemplative Study and Retreat Sabbatical--A sabbatical and renewal program for priests, ministers, religious and laity has been established at the Center. The emphasis of the sabbatical program is on spirituality, specifically spirituality that is anchored in a contemplative attitude and approach toward life. We believe that the desert experience is an important part of what makes this sabbatical program unique. RRC offers spring, summer and fall sessions.
• Hesychia School of Spiritual Direction--A spiritual direction institute, training spiritual directors from an interfaith perspective, is in session at the Center twice per year.
• Twelve-Step Directed Retreats--Directed retreats are offered, using the 12-Step recovery program, popularized by AA and related 12-Step groups. Retreats are offered by advance appointment with a qualified retreat director. A minimum of three full days is suggested in order to benefit from this type of retreat experience.
• Private Retreats--Private retreats, in which the individual person directs their own retreat experience, are available throughout the year. If you wish to have spiritual direction during your private retreat, this must be scheduled in advance to determine availability of staff.
• Hermitage--A hermitage is available for private retreats upon request. We are also able to direct you to the Desert House of Prayer (across the street from Redemptorist Renewal Center and also staffed by the Redemptorists) if you prefer a contemplative model for your retreat experience.
• Preached Retreats--Preached retreats and Days of Recollection are offered throughout the year.
• Pathless Path--Christian Contemplative practice, under the direction of Rev. Pat Hawk, CSSR is available in an ongoing way. Residential opportunities and almost monthly Contemplative Intensive Retreats (CIRs) and Zen Sesshins are available throughout the year. Contemplation is an ancient Christian tradition, rooted in Scriptures and the life of Jesus. Through the practice of contemplation, we realize the Mind of Christ, which St. Paul encourages us to make our own (Phil. 2:5-11); and by which we seek the fulfillment of Jesus teaching to "love your God with all your heart, all your soul and all your strength, and love your neighbor as yourself" (Mt. 22:37, 39).
Redemptorist Renewal Center at Picture Rocks
7101 West Picture Rocks, Tucson, AZ 85743-9645
P.O. Box 569, Cortaro, AZ 85652-0569
Phone: (520) 744-3400; Toll Free: 866.737-5751; Fax: (520) 744-8021