||nWelcome To Fort Caswell
Tucked away on the eastern tip of Oak Island, the North Carolina Baptist Assembly at Fort Caswell occupies the site of a former Civil War fort.
Since 1949, when the Baptist State Convention bought the property from the federal government, Caswell has been an instrument of peace, offering NC Baptists and others a place of quiet reflection and relaxation.
We are committed to helping you have a successful retreat or conference. We invite churches and associations to plan their own retreats for staff, deacons, seniors or other adult groups, as well as for youth, children or families. We also invite civic groups, schools and other organizations to plan their own meetings, retreats and educational trips. Reservations may be made as much as a year in advance. Simply decide whether your group wants to use our food services or prepare your own food, determine the approximate group size, choose a date and contact our reservations office. We can help you plan your accommodations, arrange for meeting space, schedule any additional recreation and guide you to finding local attractions to visit.
We have lodging for 1200 guests in 28 buildings.
- Conference Center lodging which is located on the tip of the island and conveniently provides guests lodging meeting space and dining facilities all in one building.
- Lantana lodge which is newly renovated and is Caswell's premier accommodation. Renovated
and redesigned to emulate the turn of the century days of it birth, Lantana offers all the comforts of modern technology as well as the aesthetic beauty of America's finest Inns!
- Our four Hotel accommodations are all turn of the century Officers Quarters, each Hotel features private guest rooms with private baths and a maximum of four per room.
- Our Residence Buildings are all Dormitory style housing, with a mixture of bunks and double beds in each building. The Cottages all includes kitchens and dining facilities for the groups that wish to provide their own meals. Caswell provides basic cooking utensils only in these facilities.
- Caswell's Barracks accommodations are bunk beds throughout and have a minimum of 50 and
a maximum of 165 for each building.
- More information about those accomodations are available here
The Assembly offers a variety of meeting spaces including:
- 24 classrooms with capacity of up to 30
- 4 classrooms with capacity of up to 60
- 4 classrooms with capacity of up to 150
- Sherrill Chapel with capacity of up to 200
- Hatch Auditorium for groups of 300-1,000
Audiovisual equipment is available for meeting rooms when requested in advance. A setup fee will be charged for room arrangements other than basic tables and chairs and for last minute changes. Call for information.
Start off your day with great food and fellowship with friends new and old in our comfortable dining facilities. In order to best service our guests' needs we provide two dining facilities on campus.
- The large cafeteria serves 300-1,000 guests.
- The Conference Center café services 25-300 guests.
- Dietary Needs: We will accommodate groups with special dietary needs and/or menus. The Assembly must receive requests no later than 3 weeks prior to your event. There may be an additional fee for some menus.
- Banquets and Special Occasions: The Assembly can provide your group with a special menu for your banquet needs. The Assembly must receive your special menu requests no later than 3 weeks prior to your retreat. You may call and speak to Guest Services with any questions or for help in planning your banquet. Table linens can be provided for an additional fee if requests are made in advance.
- Fort Caswell (Civil War Fort) and the adjacent batteries (World War I era) are available for our guests to explore. Guests may enjoy them at their own risk during the daylight hours only and children must be supervised.
- The mile of secluded beach has a designated safe swimming area with a boardwalk to cross the dunes. The beach has lifeguards only during the summer months.
- Great shelling, bird watching, and beach walking are all within sight of the Oak Island Lighthouse.
- Swimming Pool: Open from mid May through mid September weather permitting.
- Initiative Course: Promotes effective interpersonal and team related skills, aids in developing Christian leadership skills and strengthens the ministry of both individuals and groups. This is an additional cost service and must be scheduled two weeks prior to your visit.
- Kayaks: May be available for groups in the late spring and early fall based on availability and weather conditions.
- Year Round Recreation: Indoor gym, Outdoor volleyball, Softball field, Horseshoes, Shuffleboard, Tennis Court, Fishing pier, Surf fishing, Mini-golf (18 hole)
Today, the N.C. Baptist Assembly at Fort Caswell is a religious retreat and conference center and is opened year round, with the exception of Christmas through New Year's Day.
We invite you to come and visit us here at Caswell, and discover the peace and beauty that thousands of others have enjoyed.
Full calendar of events available here